The Policy Officer is responsible for contributing to the development and implementation of the foundation’s policy-advocacy strategy through identifying and securing opportunities for affecting positive systemic change within communities. The Policy Officer will ensure that policy-focused programming efforts that are aligned with the foundation’s strategic plan and manage successful outcomes for these opportunities and programmatic efforts. The Policy Officer will work with cross-functional teams to ensure integration and coordination of policy, advocacy and stakeholder engagement efforts across the foundation.
- Bachelor’s degree in public policy or a relevant social science discipline is required and an advanced degree is preferred.
- Minimum five years of related work experience and demonstrated success in government relations or policy-making and stakeholder relations. Eight plus years of above experience is preferred.
- Excellent negotiation, facilitation, mediation, and speaking skills.
- Experience in the formation or management of effective strategic and operational partnerships with other organizations.
- Experience working with issues and communities relevant to the programmatic priorities of the foundation.
- Understanding and experience navigating political systems and process to achieve a policy goal.
- Comfortable and has experience working effectively on policy equity issues with persons from diverse cultural, social, economic, religious and ethnic backgrounds.
- Experience working with communications professionals and a keen understanding of the role of communications in the policymaking process and advocacy (e.g., messaging, narrative development, framing, branding, positioning, media relations, data visualization, social media, public opinion research, etc.)
- Detailed understanding of the rules governing foundation-funded activities with policymakers; work with legal counsel and others on issues related to compliance (e.g., lobbying and electioneering restrictions).
How to Apply
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applicant materials will begin immediately and continue until finalist candidates have been identified.
APPLICATIONS/NOMINATIONS PROCESS: The foundation is partnering with Search Light Solutions, Inc., led by Andrew Zalman, to fill this position.
The W.K. Kellogg Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.